CHICAGO — It has now been 40 years since the movie perhaps most associated with Chicago hit the theaters. "The Blues Brothers" was first shown on the big screen on June 20, 1980 after premiering five days earlier. Ever since, the characters "Joliet" Jake and Elwood Blues have been etched in iconic American lore.

But it wasn't just Jake (John Belushi) and Elwood (Dan Akyroid) who made "The Blues Brothers" such a classic. Cameo appearances by superstars did that too. Aretha Franklin as a diner owner, Ray Charles as a music store salesman, James Brown as a preacher and Carrie Fisher's recurring appearance as the "mystery woman" looking to kill Jake were just some of the others that rounded out a star-studded cast like no other.

For some movies, coming up with 40 lines to remember on the 40th anniversary might be difficult. But not here. The toughest challenge was limiting this list to just 40.

Find out what's happening in Chicagowith free, real-time updates from Patch.

ALSO ON PATCH: Blues Brothers 40th Anniversary Brings Old Joliet Prison Back To Life

But here's our pick for the 40 best. We've ranked them from 40-1, so leave a comment in the comment section below with your favorite line.

Find out what's happening in Chicagowith free, real-time updates from Patch.

40. Jake: "The Blues Brothers. It should read 'Tonight Only: the Blues Brothers triumphant return."

39. Elwood: "Sir, where is the office of the assessor of Cook County?"

38. "What music do you play?" "We got both kinds, Country and Western."

37. Jake: "So far we've covered all of Lake, McHenry and part of DuPage County." Elwood: "Good, let's get to the gig."

36. Elwood: "I gotta quit... I'm gonna become a priest."

35. Jail Guard: "One unused prophylactic..... One soiled."

34. Steve Lawrence: "$5,000 bucks? Who do you think you are, The Beatles?"

33. Ray Charles: "As usual, I'll have to take an I.O.U."

From a scene outside the Ray's Music Exchange, filmed on 47th Street on the South Side of Chicago. Photo Universal/Kobal/Shutterstock

32. Elwood: "We're the Good Ole'... Blues Brothers band from Chicago."

31. Cop: "I'm gonna catch that sucker. If it's the last thing I ever do."

30. Elwood: "You want out of this parking lot? OK!"

29. Jake: "First, you trade the Cadillac. Then, you lied to me about the band. And now, you're gonna put me right back in the joint."

28. Elwood: "You gotta see the penguin."

27. "The salads are fine. It's just that we'd like to move to another table... away from those two gentlemen. Frankly, they are offensive smelling. I mean, they smell bad."

26. John Candy: "What car is this?" Cop: "55." John Candy: "Hi, we're in Car 55, and we're in a truck."

25. Elwood: "Man, I haven't been pulled over in six months. I bet those cops have got 'SCMODS.' Jake: "SCMODS?" Elwood: "State County Municipal Offender Data System."

24. Jake: "If you say no, Elwood and I will come here for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day of the week." Mr. Fabulous: "Ok, Ok, I'll play. You got me."

23. Sister Mary: "You are such a disappointing pair. I prayed so hard for you. It saddens and hurts me that the two young men whom I raised to believe in the Ten Commandments have returned to me as two thieves, with filthy mouths and bad attitudes... Get out, and don't come back until you've redeemed yourselves."

22. Aretha Franklin: "Don't you blasphemy in here, don't you blasphemy in here! You're gonna walk out of here without your dry white toast, without your four fried chickens. And without Matt 'Guitar' Murphy."

Jake and Elwood, in the cafe owned by Aretha Franklin's character. Universal/Kobal/Shutterstock

21. "Did ya get my cheese whiz, boy?"

20. Carrie Fisher: "You contemptible pig! I remained celibate for you. I stood at the back of a cathedral, waiting, in celibacy, for you, with three hundred friends and relatives in attendance. My uncle hired the best Romanian caterers in the state. To obtain the seven limousines for the wedding party, my father used up his last favor with Mad Pete Trullo. So for me, for my mother, my grandmother, my father, my uncle, and for the common good, I must now kill you, and your brother."

19. Jake: "No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locus. It wasn't my fault. I swear to god!"

18. Elwood: "And we would especially like to welcome all of the representatives of the Illinois Law enforcement community, who have chosen to join us here in the Palace Hotel Ballroom at this time."

17. John Candy: "Who wants an orange whip? Orange w-hip? Orange w-hip? Three orange whips."

16. Elwood: "The new Oldsmobiles are in early this year." Also on Patch: Fan Creates Blues Brothers Mall Chase Scene With Legos

15. Cop: "The use of excessive violence in the apprehension of the Blues Brothers has been approved."

14. Band Member: "It's used. There's no action left in that keyboard." Ray Charles: "Excuse me, I don't think there's anything wrong with the action on this piano."

13. Mr. Fabulous: "No sir, Mayor Daley no longer dines here. He's dead sir."

12. Jake: "About our money for tonight..." Bob: "That's right. $200, and you boys drank $300 worth of beer."

11. Jake: "The band. The band!" James Brown: "Do you see the light?" Jake: "Yes, yes, Jesus H. God Tap-dancing Christ. I have seen the light!"

10. "Are you the police?" Elwood: "No ma'am, we're musicians."

9. Elwood: "It's an old Mount Prospect police car." Jake: "The day I get out of prison, my own brother picks me up in a police car."

8. Jake: "How much for the little girls? How much for the women? I want to buy your women. Sell me your children."

7. Cab Calloway (At the Palace Hotel Ballroom): "Welcome, from Calumet City, Illinois: the show band of Joliet Jake and Elwood Blues: The Blues Brothers."

6. Jake: "Got any fried chicken? Bring me four fried chickens and a Coke." Aretha Franklin: "Chicken wins or chicken legs?" Jake: "Four friend chickens and a Coke." Aretha (to Matt "Guitar" Murphy): "The tall one wants white bread, toast, dry, nothing on it and the other one wants four whole fried chickens and a Coke."

5. "Illinois Nazis? I hate Illinois Nazis."

4. Elwood: "They don't have my address. I falsified my renewal. I put down 1060 West Addison." Jake: "1060 West Addision? That's Wrigley Field."

3. "We're 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.... Hit it."

2. "We're Getting The Band Back Together"

1. "We're On A Mission From God"


Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.

The rules of replying:

  • Be respectful. This is a space for friendly local discussions. No racist, discriminatory, vulgar or threatening language will be tolerated.
  • Be transparent. Use your real name, and back up your claims.
  • Keep it local and relevant. Make sure your replies stay on topic.
  • Review the Patch Community Guidelines.